Total Pageviews

Wednesday 26 April 2017

Turn flat activities into super learning missions nº2

Welcome to my second learning mission!

If you have read my last post you are now familiar with the concept of a learning mission and what teachers have to do in order to design them. However, it is time to go ahead with the development of the second super learning mission.

As in the previous mission I am going to repeat the whole process, from the election of the flat activity until the design of the super learning mission. The choice takes into account the course (5th grade) in which the content is created; and, this time, another fact will be taken into account: the super learning mission is going to be connected with the previous one. It is going to be the continuation.

What was the original flat activity?

“Outline the three states of matter and explain the particle behavior in each them. Finally, write an example”.

What is the learning mission?

This learning mission is called: “The matter Virtual Show”. Once the students have the Poster with the lyrics of the song “Solid, Liquid and Gas Song” (created with Picktochart) they will have to record a video clip singing the states of matter song (created with Wevideo) and, finally, they will post the video on the school’s blog as part of the final project of my open educational digital project in order to mentor third and fourth graders.

The steps/instructions that students have to follow to carry out this mission are:


Powered by emaze

As you can see on my presentation created with Emaze, the mission two is the continuation of the mission one. The activity is very simple; the students only have to follow 3 steps. Firstly, they have to learn the “Solid, Liquid, Gas song”; Secondly, they have to record a video clip singing the song with Wevideo; and finally, they will upload the video on the school’s blogs labeled in Natural Science.

Goals:

- To know the three states of matter and its simple properties.
- To use ICT to learn new content.
- To create a digital artifact using an adequate web tool or app for the requested artifact.
- To encourage motivation and creativity through visual resources (poster, video clip, audio/song).
- To teamwork with a certain autonomy.
- To improve the four language skills.
- To do cross-curricular work with music (rhyme, rhythm and, melody).

Target audience:

This super learning mission is for Fifth graders. However, the final outcome will be part of the final collaborative task of my open educational project “Fifth gradersmentor their young schoolmates”. The digital artefact will be upload on the school’s blog for being consumed by third and fourth graders.

Timing:

This activity will be carried out in one lesson of 45 minutes.

Tools:

To record the video: Wevideo, iMovie, Koma Koma, etc.
To record just Audio (Podcast): Soundcloud, AudioBoom, etc.

How does this activity align with the collaborative project I am contributing to?

The activity can be aligned with the collaborative project The ESL Times because this super learning mission has similar goals as the education digital project:

- The four language skills
- Using ICT when teaching/learning
- Promoting collaborative work, team work and autonomous work.
- Valuing the socio cultural side of the English language.

Competences involved:

1.      CC - Communication skills
2.      DC - Digital skills
3.      LL - Learning to learn
4.      SCC - Social and civic skills
5.      SIE - Sense of initiative and entrepreneurship.
6.      CAE - Cultural awareness and expression.

Once I have explained the super learning mission it is time to see an example of the digital artifact that I want students to do. Don’t forget that the final digital artefact will be a video clip done with all students and created with Wevideo; but, as I am alone, I will do a simulation audio with Soundcloud.
Soundcloud is a music and podcast streaming platform that lets you listen to millions of songs from around the world, or upload your own. I have used the same online tool in my first challenge so I felt familiar with it.






Self-reflection

Upgrade the Internet access in every public school classroom allows teachers to start giving students the opportunity to take advantage of the promise of digital learning. I believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity.

As a teacher, I can't help but express how proud of myself I feel with the project I designed with  the assistance of the different challenges I faced. By creating these latest posts I acquired so many skills and I learned about so many online tools in education, which at the present moment I cannot live without. I never thought I would enjoy so much creating this project and trying to collaborate with wonderful people that share the same enthusiasm as I do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea!

    I have to say that I have enjoyed reading your post. I designed a didactic unit on this topic some time ago and the activities were much more boring than yours. You have designed really appealing activities for students. You got talent for singing by the way! haha

    I´ll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea!! Such an engaging mission you created! I like the idea of creating a song in order to learn a "difficult" topic for them, as students love singing. Moreover, it is a fun way to learn many things. Good job!

    ReplyDelete