Total Pageviews

Saturday 29 April 2017

Elaborating a rubric for assesement

Hi everybody again!

Until this moment I have been describing first, the whole analyzing process of my open EducationalDigital Project: then, how I turned it into collaborative one; after, how I turned the flat activities into super learning missions; finally, it is time to asses de whole process. I am going to show you a rubric I created, so as to gauge students in my Open Educational Project: “Matter in our world!”.

What am I assessing?

First and foremost, let me tell you that I decided to create a rubric concerning the final outcome of my project, which is “Fifth graders mentor their youngschoolmates”, which you can take a look at, here. This final outcome (final project) is connected to the two super learning missions I have designed in my lasts post. First, the content information and creating the song; second, recording the video clip and posting it on the blog in order to their schoolmates can see it.

I decided to focus on the assessment of the final outcome, since it is going to reflect all the contents and skills students are bound to acquire throughout the whole Open Educational Project.

How did I come up with a rubric?

Once I had a clear idea about the focus of the assessment, I decided to create a Poster, so as to organize the elements to be taken into consideration when deciding the criteria, and have a crystal clear idea of the rubric, as a whole.

As a result, I elaborated the following poster, by using an online tool called Canva, which is aimed at designing Posters, flyers, cardboards, etc.

The aspects that are going to be evaluated have direct connection with the goal established on the final outcome, that are the followings:

  1.          Plan the steps you are going to follow.
  2.       Look for information using the Internet.
  3.       Create a catchy song using a digital tool.
  4.         Use the vocabulary and expressions to sing the song.
  5.         Record a video clip of the song and post it on the school’s blog.


Here you have a presentation made with Canva where you can see the criteria that I’m going to follow in my rubric.

Stockholm de Andrea Judit Pérez

And finally, I have done my rubric using the digital tool Quick Rubric. I registered myself and I started elaborating it, by adding columms and rows, and editing the criteria, the ratings and the descriptors. Then, I uploaded it at Issuu. QuickRubric let me do an easy rubric in few minutes. It was a fantastic tool, very useful and very easy to use.

Here you have my rubric:



Self-reflection

All in all, I am of the opinion that planning a rubric needs time, and we have to pay attention to the assessment. It is something that cannot be done in the blink of an eye. It needs practise, so from my point of view, you actually need to put the rubric intro practise and monitor it, so as to see if it is really manageable and accurate, in oder to enhance it.

I will definitely take into account the essential elements of a rubric, since a great deal of times, we tend to add lots of items, and we do not focus on the main criteria. So, if we add fewer elements and explain them clearly, we will not have any problem when assessing our students.

Thank you for walking with me through my new post again!

No comments:

Post a Comment